There’s something about the combination of mango and chicken that just works. We eat mango chutney with roast chicken so often that I even started making my own chutney only so we would not run out.
Here is a Mango chicken curry I whipped up another day. I love it, but my father thinks it’s a bit on the sweet side, so feel free to reduce the quantity of mango the recipe involves if you desire a bit less sweet. The numbers are approximate, don’t hesitate to experiment.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced (1 1/2 to two cups)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 Tbsp yellow curry powder
- 2 mangos, peeled and diced
- 11/4 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Heat oil at a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for one more minute. Add the curry powder and simmer, cook for a couple more minutes. The spices will consume some of this oil, therefore if anything begins to stick a lot to the base of the pan, add a little more oil into the pan.
- Insert the Vinegar, coconut milk, and among those two chopped mangoes into the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scoop the sauce into a blender. Purée the sauce, pulsing until smooth. Return the sauce to the pan.
- Add chicken pieces and raisins to the pan. Return to a low simmer. Cover the pan and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Chicken should be just cooked through. Use a knife to cut open the largest piece to test.
- Insert remaining chopped mango to the pan. Stir in the cream, if using. Let cook at a very low temperature for another moment or 2, uncovered. Do not let boil! Or the cream may curdle. Adjust seasonings. If a bit too sweet, add a little more vinegar. If not sweet enough, you can add a dash of sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Over rice. Garnish with cilantro.