My Mother came to go to for the weekend and we had a great time. We did lots of baking and also one thing I knew we had to make was pizza. I get my love of pizza out of her and we usually make it if we are together- that time was somewhat different though- it had been totally paleo. She does not eat paleo so I was not certain how she would feel about it, but she loved it! I was pleasantly amazed.
I perfected my dough recipe until she got here. I’ve attempted many paleo pizza crusts and they completely disappoint. They’re either too time consuming, also high carbohydrate, or overly delicate. I wanted something easy, hand-held, dairy free, and flavourful. Many crusts utilize tapioca flour and that I did not wish to use that due to my husband’s blood sugar difficulties. After a few trial and errors I had the idea of adding gelatin for a binder and it completely worked!! It holds it together perfectly, has the best feel, and is so straightforward! I am quite excited to share this recipe because I truly believe it is the best one! I really have this version and an almond flour version I will be sharing- they are similar, but too distinct to combine in 1 post.
This dough Comes together to make a great ball- I love that about it! It is really simple to use. Also, my mother is an amazing hand version!
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- Onion and garlic powder to taste (optional)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Shape into a ball and push out on the parchment paper into about 1/4 inch thick. Make it as even as possible so that it cooks evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, remove from the oven and flip, bake for 10 more minutes.
- Top with sauce and toppings that are desired and bake for 5-10 more minutes.